Friday, January 25, 2008

My Sundance Files

My first Sundance experience that I want to share takes place on main street at the music cafe where I watched my friend, my brilliant friend, Quincy Coleman, sing her songs to a parka-ed, boot-ed crowd of sundancers.

She was, as always, amazing. Beautiful, pure. How is she not a superstar I wondered?! How?

She will be, that I have always believed. She should have already been, i still often say. But if you reading do not know her name, that's odd to me. She is the real deal. How does it all land out for the driven, talented folks.

My uncle, a doctor, said to me a while ago: "I went to medical school. It was hard. often wanted to leave. Was depressed sometimes, happy sometimes. But I trucked through. I became a surgeon. from that day on, graduation papers in hand, i was a surgeon. When you become "famous" or known for your art or gainfully employed you will be just that. so try, as hard as it is, to enjoy this journey. one day, you can look back on it and remember that between gigs you were bussing tables or delivering food or substitute teaching."

Check out Quincy Coleman. Google her. Buy her two cds. The first "Also Known As Mary" is a spiritual, introspective look at what we all think and feel. The second "Come Closer" is a powerful, feet on the ground journey through horns and ridiculously superb vocals.

We are artists. With dreams and drive. Trying to make it happen. We want to change the world, as cheeky as that sounds, we do. We want people to get along and things to be better. We know we have a voice and we want that voice to be heard. It is a journey. Being happy on the painful road is a task, a lesson everyday, a beautiful, fucked up journey.

No comments: