Saturday, January 26, 2008

Wrap Yourself Around...

So much is so sad. I know we are all sad about the passing of such a gifted, genuinely cool actor.

I was talking with an old friend a year ago. We were reminiscing about our history together. About the group of friends we once dined with, laughed with, took photo booth pictures with, made mix cds for, had drinks with, traveled with, stayed in hotels and houses and guest rooms with. A group that we just did everything and anything with. And the years come rolling in and life intervenes and changes things and us and it. And we mourn the change, the loss of it. We are nostalgic for it...even now. We flip through the photo albums and recall. We looked so young, so beautiful. We remember it being pure and simple and uncomplicated. It likely was not so pure, had its complexities and was undoubtedly terribly complicated but from the distance we can make it just beautiful...which is a good thing...i prefer it that way...even if it is not the full story, not the full truth...i choose, more often than not, to extract the good and hold that for the bad is too painful and in truth, not nearly as worthy of memory as the good.

Anyway, in my discussion a year ago with this old friend they said to me this:

"I wish i knew the storm that was coming. The storm that would blow us all in different directions. Had I known of it, I would have thrown my arms around us all, and held as tight as I possibly could, and never let go."

So yes, things are sad right now. And we are all upset and reflective about our own experiences, pasts, futures, goals. The questions of WHAT IS LIFE ALL ABOUT are swirling in my head. WHAT MATTERS? WHAT IS SUCCESS? If this whole journey is so very fragile (which it is) then what, what are we doing? Happy? Content? Filled? Inspired? Good things to think about over this rainy, california weekend.

go wrap your arms around someone...and hold on really, really tight.

No comments: