Thursday, October 18, 2007

Honoring Your Voice

My mother called me a few months back (we talk everyday so I am not implying that 3 months ago was our last call) and told me that she would send me a check to finance the making of my TV show, RICH WHORES. She read my script a dozen times and believed in it so much that she, who has never produced TV, wanted to step up as an Executive Producer. I did not take her money but she did light the fire under me to film Rich Whores. I have detailed some of the indie tv making with you all and I am so proud of the filmed presentation we have. And I am so grateful to have a mother who has been so consistently supportive of my vision for all my years.

My Mom and Dad have always told, especially when I am in my darkness, to keep honing my voice. Never to let my voice go. Even if the agents don't see it then and there, if I get one hundred NOs, keep my voice and Honor It. My mom says, that for an artist, your voice is your individuality, often the 1 thing that separates you from everyone else.

My mom has also told me again and again that when you are selling your house you only need 1 buyer. thousands can come look and pass, but all you need is the 1 to pull out the check book. She uses this analogy for most everything including my artistic endeavors. You ONLY NEED 1 COMPANY TO GET IT, 1 PRODUCER, 1 NETWORK...1

3 comments:

The Cajun Boy said...

words of inspiration...

Anonymous said...

i think someone else may have also told you to keep honoring your unique voice... or rather... it is your uniqueness that will get you what you ultimately want - so keep going with it...

Brucenstan's Momma said...

you like quotes, so here's one that seems lovely and appropriate, no?

***


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory of God within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

--Marianne Williamson