Thursday, September 20, 2007

In two years will you...?

"A lot of people, especially this one psychoanalyst guy they have here, keeps asking me if I'm going to apply myself when I go back to school next September. It's such a stupid question, in my opinion. I mean how do you know what you're going to do till you DO it? The answer is, you don't. I THINK I am, but how do I know? I swear it's a stupid question."

--The Catcher In The Rye, J.D. SALINGER

I know what I want right now. I believe that I know what I want two years from now. But, I also know that ideas change and life turns and in it we bend. Does God laugh while we are making plans? Maybe. Perhaps the laugh is loving and not, as I always saw it, condescending.

It could be that HE/SHE/IT is laughing, almost nervously, because IT/SHE/HE knows that you can plan all you want and you should plan because if you don't plan on the next two years then what is there really needling you to wake up in the morning. Meaning, if there is no planned path leading toward a goal then what is there? So yes, God may be chuckling because, indeed, we can plan all we want but, in truth, plans change, moods and needs shift. Can I be certain that I will want the same things in two years that I want in this moment?

No comments: