Thursday, September 20, 2007

Q&A with RUSSELL YOUNG

Russell Young has been a mentor for me...whether he knows it or not. He is an extraordinary artist. See www.RussellYoung.com

He cooks like the best chef on a hillside in Tuscany. Gets fresh fish from the morning market, throws newspaper around it, adds some herbs and throws it over an open fire. Meanwhile, he goes to his many hand planted gardens and picks lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes. Then to his trees. Avocados, lemons, limes. Then to his pizza oven. Homemade dough, blended sauce. And then you feast. And you look out over his land and see the thousands of lavender bushes he planted, the roses, the perfectly green grass, the stones that become steps that lead to overviews of sky and ocean and solace. And when you are up there, you look down at the home he designed and you say...this fucker is also a great father of two, husband of one and dreamer of much.

He inspires me. And I know he will inspire you. Below are his words.


Russell's Quote..."life is what happens to you whilst your busy making other
plans"

Matt, I would have titled my blog Painfulonthehappyroad
I have no fear, I know what I think about my work and I don't care
what other people think. I analyzed my paintings from every possible
angle and level, I know what is good about them. I also know where all
their faults lie. I create my work to please myself and not others.

I have found over the years that creative honesty is the most important
artistic value that I can have. You have to start from a platform of
absolute honesty, I don't mean as in not telling lies....but know what
is really deep down inside of you, who are you, what is it that really
makes you creatively euphoric!! This has taken me decades to really
achieve, there is no simple pill to swallow. As you go through the
creative process, creating from a foundation of honesty, you find that
whatever problems or solutions are thrown at you, you have 100%
confidence in your creative abilities.

The last thing I rely upon heavily is instinct, I find that as the years
have past my instincts are nearly always right, if you have been honest
with yourself, you start to understand yourself better and find out what
decisions you make that are right for you, you get to trust your instincts.
Instinct, I believe, is very different to experience...too many people rely
on experience and lose sight of pure creativity.

Be bold and brave, don't be afraid...

No comments: