Monday, September 24, 2007

Into The Wild

Just go see this film. You will be so grateful that you did. I am. It is masterful. I am still processing it and will for a while I think. The one thing I can say right now, though...one of the many things that came through with such intense power is this:

We all need each other and sometimes through you I can feel closer to my brother or mother or father. Through you I can understand things I never understood before. Through you I can, sometimes, get closer to me.

SEE THIS MOVIE and prepare yourself for the following: You will think Sean Penn is as genius a writer/director as he is an actor. You will root for Emile Hirsch to win an Oscar and you will secretly think you discovered him. And most of all, you will want our conversation, Happy On The Painful Road, to grow and grow and move and shake and trigger and effect and cause spark, inspiration and difference.

"It is easy, when you are young, to believe that what you desire is no less than what you deserve, to assume that if you want something badly enough , it is your God-given right to have it. . . I was a raw youth who mistook passion for insight and acted according to an obscure, gap-ridden logic. I thought climbing the Devils Thumb would fix all that was wrong with my life. In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams. And I lived to tell my tale."

-Jon Krakauer, Into The Wild

No comments: